Pages

Tuesday 7 January 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR...kinda






Not to be a Debbie Downer, but 2013 has lived right up to its unlucky reputation. Setbacks, failures and loss. In fact, I haven't spoke to many who disagree. It's not that I am all superstitious about unlucky 13, but they say bad things come in three's. That's a lie - more like dozens!

Anyway, it would be easy for me to say that 2014 will be different and that it will somehow be a fresh start. It won't be but it does give us the opportunity to reflect on things that we CAN change. This year I lost one of the most important ladies in my life - my Nanan. I can't change that and eventually had to accept it. I moved from my childhood house in Barnsley, to Sheffield and then to London. Whirlwind is, therefore, an understatement which is a reason I haven't blogged as much as 
I should have.

Obviously, it would be easy to sit here and rant about poor me. In reality, I have been fortunate enough to have some incredible experiences this year. I had an amazing girls holiday in Ibiza, watching the sunset every night and soaking up the sun. I also managed to tick off one of my bucket list ambitions and attended Creamfields festival. Seeing the likes of Avicii, David Guetta, Alesso and Sebastian Ingrosso was a surreal experience.

This year I have gone from working in a cake factory to working for the UKBA and then for a major Government procurement programme. Even though I haven't had the chance to blink from moving from city to city, I achieved my dream of living in the best city in the world - London. Walking past The Houses of Parliament and the River Thames everyday reminds me of how far I have actually come in a year. Hey, if I can go from cake factory icing packer to Westminster in one year, then what can I do within the next year? I guess we will see.

It's also probably worth mentioning that I am lucky to have had several jobs in today's economic climate and even though I haven't actually reached my goal of a graduate job yet, I hold on to hope and a hard work ethic because that's all I have. It is taking a very long time but I hope that the start to my journalism career is just around the corner. 

If 2013 has showed me anything, it is the importance of family and friends. In the end they are what is constant in our lives and have pulled me through heartbreaking times. The passing of someone you love is incredibly painful - especially when you know they have made you the person you are today.

So here's to a healthy, happy and successful 2014 for all, those who have left us and the ones still with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment